The second transnational meeting of the project INTERACTE (No.2019-1-IS01-KA204-0511-43) was held on Rijeka (Croatia), 02-06 of March, 2020, hosted by DANTE in Rijeka, Croatia.
During this project meeting DANTE organized a 5 day workshop “How to teach adults in digital environment? Key skills for adult education teachers – workshop and plenary lessons”. The meeting was attended by partners from Iceland, Italy, Croatia, Lithuania, Spain.
The host organization from Croatia introduced special approaches in creative and critical learning in virtual and e-learning teaching. The main emphasis was on the joy of studying and preventing disappointment among adult learners. The participants learned what happens when the traditional meets digital, how you can design a motivating learning environment and how to explore the world outside the classroom. Also, emphasis was put on development of exemplary technical projects and how to use IT tools and Media as a support for language courses.
During the meeting in Croatia, the host organization organized the following interesting and engaging workshops and activities:
- Introductory activities (why are we here? who is here? 3 sessions, different methods). Introduction to 21st century skills. Formal and non-formal education systems. Learning atmosphere. Learning to learn – encouraging metacognition.
- Needs analysis, classroom dynamics, meeting learners’ expectations, approaching and managing adult learners groups, dealing with conflicts.
- What happens when the traditional meets the digital? Creative thinking and critical thinking. Learners’ centred teaching approaches. Project-based learning. Enquiry-based learning virtual classes.
- Increasing learners ‘motivation. Innovative teaching methods. How can you design a motivating learning environment? How to explore the world outside the classroom? Outdoor activities.
- Teaching low-ability learners’. Teaching mixed-ability adult learners’ groups.
- What we have done? How to evaluate lesson? Different methods. Continuous, formative, and summative assessment. Modern trends in assessment. Peer and self-assessment.
- Coordinators’ meeting.
- Cultural activities: Rijeka Theatre and excursion to Rovinj, Opatia.
During this meeting activities were focused on sharing a workshop based on the elements of the training courses that the Adult Education Institution Dante was prepared for teacher trainings at European level aimed at all teachers and staff working with adult learners in both a formal and non-formal context. All workshops was an opportunity for participants to develop essential teaching competences necessary to work with and manage adult target groups, as well as their needs and expectations. Workshops also were focused on encouraging and developing creativity, creative and critical thinking, as well as project-based learning, with the overarching aim of increasing learner autonomy and motivation. The all course provided participating project partners with innovative and ready to use strategies and activities that can spark and develop creativity in any learning environment. A special attention was given to learning and teaching in a digital environment with using and creating learning materials for virtual classes and e-learning. Emphasis was placed on methods that can be used to create a relaxed and welcoming learning environment for adult learners, as well as activities to increase learner interaction and communication.
The project partners have contributed to the project as planned. The six participants who were unable to attend in activity in Croatia took part in online meetings and read material put on the project website by the Croatian partners.
It was really a very interesting meeting, where all project partners could analyse advantages and disadvantages of e-learning, learning and teaching in virtual classes, advantages and disadvantages of formal and non-formal education systems and identify modern trends in assessment, met colleagues from other European countries, shared experiences and examples of good practice. The host team organized the meeting in a very professional and warm way, all project partners learned and learned a lot not only about the topics of the seminars, but also about the wonderful Croatian culture. Project team was very happy with this meeting, which took place in the midst of some anxiety about the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic.